If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: On being a writer...
My Photo
Name:
Location: Honolulu, HI, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I took a year-long sabbatical from my science teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean, retired from teaching in Indiana and now teach at a Honolulu middle school.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

On being a writer...

I would love to be a professional writer. I know how to write and how to find a market for my writing, but I think the discipline it takes to find ideas and markets for those ideas along with the actual writing would take a lot of the fun out of it.

But I still write. Obviously, right? I mean you are reading something I’ve written right now, but I’m talking about finding an idea, submitting it for publication, getting the idea approved, writing an article, and then actually having it published.

So if someone actually likes something I’ve written and publishes it, that’s fun for me. If they happen to pay me for it, even more fun. I had fun yesterday when I opened my mail and pulled out a check for an article I wrote for a small publication in the Pacific Northwest called “Bear Deluxe.” It was a nerdy science article about a substance called methane hydrate and I won’t bore you with a reprint, but I had fun writing it.

If you happen across this magazine, I’d appreciate it if you sent me a copy because I’d like to actually see the article in print.

Thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home