If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: Home game humor
My Photo
Name:
Location: Honolulu, HI, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I took a year-long sabbatical from my science teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean, retired from teaching in Indiana and now teach at a Honolulu middle school.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Home game humor

What happens when a serious baseball player is asked to play whiffleball? Or a racecar driver is asked to drive go-carts? Or a golfer is asked to play miniature golf, the one with the windmill and clown? My guess is one of two things: either massive frustration sets in or he goes with the flow and has fun.

The result is the same things that happen when a “serious” poker player is asked to play a husband/wife home game.

Case in point: “I win! I have a full house! Look! 4-5-6-7-8…..full house!”

Oh my.

That was the way it went all evening. Raise late position five times the anti with AQ suited, SEVEN callers. Bet, bet, bet…..lose to 10 3 offsuit when a 10 falls on the river. A ten. So she chased all the way to the river with a pair of threes.

After that hand I decided to just relax and drink beer and play good poker, no matter what happened. It was an odd setup. All 8 people and paid $10, started with about a about $5000 in chips and there was one $10 blind for the dealer instead of small and big blinds (that’s easier to keep track of) and the blinds never raised! We just played until 12 o’clock and the top two stacks splitting the prize 70/20 with third place getting his money back.

It was possible to limp with any two cards but there were at least four or five callers seeing raises of $100 or more.

The woman that finished in second place (Mrs. Full House) must have made eight straights playing cards no real poker player would play.

I limped in with A9 of hearts and flopped the nut flush and check called to the river and bet more than $1000 with the nuts and WAS RAISED by bottom two pair to haul down a huge pot that allowed me to cruise to third and have my buy-in returned.

The only thing that irked me about the evening was that the first place finisher was the husband of Mrs. Full House and he would bet big with her heads up knowing that she would call against the nuts. That’s where he got all his money.

Thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home