If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: When reality bites you.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Honolulu, HI, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I took a year-long sabbatical from my science teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean, retired from teaching in Indiana and now teach at a Honolulu middle school.

Monday, November 14, 2005

When reality bites you.

Poker playing has taken a backseat to life in the past few weeks.

I didn’t even get a chance to update my finish in the PokerStars bloggers tournament. I finished in the top 200 and was up over $11,000 tc at one point before going card dead and eventually getting outdrawn with AJ to KQ. I got all my money in as the favorite however so I can’t complain. I think I played well but should have been a little more aggressive at least twice.

I’ve played a few times on Party with my usual boring in-it-to-make-money style and have currently posted seven winning sessions in a row, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The reality of my son’s upcoming graduation from high school set in recently.

I’ve been working part-time for a relatively young science textbook company called CPO Science, which has top-notch science texts. The unique thing about this company, and the niche they are carving for themselves in the science textbook market, is that when you purchase their texts they give you fantastic lab equipment at no additional charge.

The company was started by an MIT graduate and will undoubtedly be a big player in educational materials in the future.

The company flew me to Palm Springs to demonstrate their equipment at an enormous science conference and I had a chance to meet some of the company big wigs. I guess they like me because I just received a call from one of the company’s Vice Presidents with a fulltime job offer.

Until a few weeks ago I had never even thought about leaving education. My life’s focus has been raising my son, making sure he has been provided for, and ensuring there was money put away for college, trade school, etc.

Obviously any job outside of education will pay more than being a teacher, but it’s nothing I can consider right now. TJ is a senior, we’ve just started wrestling practice, I’m one of the coaches, and I wouldn’t miss one minute of my son’s senior year for all the cows in Brazil, which are apparently quite delicious because the company has invited me to a dinner tonight at a Brazilian steakhouse :-)

So real life is taking time away from the tables, but to me it’s a lot more important to have a balanced life than to make a few bucks playing poker.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shelly said...

Congrats to your son on graduation, and on your job offer! Here's to fruitful decision making! :)

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home