If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: Practice makes perfect
My Photo
Name:
Location: Honolulu, HI, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I took a year-long sabbatical from my science teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean, retired from teaching in Indiana and now teach at a Honolulu middle school.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Practice makes perfect

Who woulda thought you have to practice to stay sharp at playing poker? I started with about $150 last April and ran it up to a tidy little sum by playing two tables of tight $2/$4 limit Hold Em. I played good cards in good position and folded the rest. It’s an easy plan: Fold a lot, win a little.

It’s fool proof.

It’s fool proof unless you lay off for a long while because you have coaching responsibilities and enjoy spending time with the fruit of your loins. Then Ace/10 in early position looks like something you should open with and call a raise with and a bet and another bet and a river bet and lose four big bets with to Big Slick.

Coming back after a lay off in poker is a lot like that first time the weather breaks and you pick up your Big Bertha and motor on over to the local driving range to hit a bucket of balls. Shank, hook, slice. Shank, hook, slice.

It’s like a cruel Country-Western dance.

I’m back at it. Studying the game to plug the leaks and trying to get the roll back into my bankroll.

Tight, tighter, tightest. Thanks my new mantra.

Back to battle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home