If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: Small pairs and the RUSH poker pounding
My Photo
Name:
Location: Honolulu, HI, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I took a year-long sabbatical from my science teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean, retired from teaching in Indiana and now teach at a Honolulu middle school.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Small pairs and the RUSH poker pounding

Rush poker goes fast.

In thirty minutes last night I chewed through more than 300 hands playing two tables with two short-stack buy-ins. I’m still in the experimental stage with Rush poker so I tend to buy in shorter than usual to avoid huge swings in my on line bankroll.

I also set a timer to keep track of how long I’ve played. I know from experience that long sessions can lead to sloppy play and so I’ve taken steps to avoid that as well.

All the things that make no limit hold em exciting are amplified by Rush poker, in particular the chance you can double up or go broke on every single hand. All the things that make no limit hold em so scary are also amplified by Rush poker, in particular the chance you can double up or go broke on every single hand.

I had suited connectors and small pairs that paid off big last night, two to the detriment of one particular player.

After winning a hand I often go back and look to see why I got called down when I was holding a monster. Last night I caught my set on a paired board to table a full house, and win when the nut flush draw also hit.

Twice.

Against the same player.

Ouch.

This has to be one of the reasons players tout on line poker as being rigged. On a board of KQ66 with two hearts, there is only one single card in the deck that makes both the nut flush and a full house when I am holding 33. I hit the tree of hearts on the river.

This was a poor play for the flush draw though. He checked until he had the flush AND I had a full house. He bet, I raised, he called. I double up on that table. Had he bet at any time with his draw, I would have folded.

On my other table I hit a nine to make a set on the flop and I bet it. The same player now pushes all-in with his nut flush draw and hits while I improve to a full house again and double up on my other table.

Therefore in thirty minutes I doubled up on both tables I am playing through the same player out of 600+ Rush poker players.

Again…. Ouch.

Thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home