If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, then you're ready for any emergency. emergency.cdc.gov
playing poker and teaching science: Running it twice
My Photo
Name:
Location: Honolulu, HI, United States

I'm a middle school science teacher, wrestling coach, poker player, scuba diver, aikido black belt, amateur writer, and student of life. In the past I have tried to give back a little by volunteering at a children's home in Belmopan, Belize, Central America. I also love Frosted Flakes. I took a year-long sabbatical from my science teaching position in order to sail the Caribbean, retired from teaching in Indiana and now teach at a Honolulu middle school.

Monday, May 11, 2015

Running it twice

Situation one:
I flipped ove my hand and said, "I have the nuts, do you want to run it twice?" Villain said, "Of course!" He made his flush on the first run and and broadway held up on the second turn and river. That's when the fun began.

The dealer told us to pull our stacks back and Villain started asking why, stating that he had the nuts. Apparently he honestly didn't understand what "running it twice" meant. The best part about playing at the local American Legion is that the regulars may be a bit predictable in their play, but they are knowledgeable about the game.

Villain was in seat nine and I was in seat one so I didn't even have to look at him. I just leaned back in my chair and let the table handle it. They spent five minutes explaining what happened, but very time one said, "He had the nuts," Villain would counter with, "No. Look. I have the nuts," as he matched his A8s to the cards on the table.

Finally one nice old guy said, "His heart was in the right place when he offered to run it twice."

At long last the dealer chopped the pot.

Situation two:
LAG Asian gentleman (who always shows up late to play on Friday nights after his restaurant closes), makes a big bet with rags to push player A out, then offers to chop the pot with the all-in player B. Player B declines and wins with 10 10 to a board conatining an Ace. Player A was PISSED as he folded had an ace. I thought it might come to blows.

Another fun night at the American Legion. Also profitable thanks to the regulars enforcing the rules of cash play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home